Faculty: James Perry
Reports and Publications:
- Managing Organizations to Sustain Passion for Public Service, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press (2021)
- Winner of the Best Public Sector Human Resources Book from the Section on Personnel Administration and Labor Relations of the American Society for Public Administration.
- 2022 Best Book Award from the Public and Nonprofit Division of the Academy of Management
Download the Instructor's Guide
- Public Service and Good Governance for the Twenty-first Century, (Ed.) Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, (2020)
- Handbook of Public Administration, Third Edition, (co-edited with R. Christensen) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass (2015)
- "Revisiting the motivational bases of public service: Twenty years of research and an agenda for the future," (with A. Hondeghem, L. R. Wise), Public Administration Review, 70(5): 681-690 (2010)
- "Back to the future? Performance-related pay, empirical research, and the perils of persistence," (with T. Engbers, and S. Y. Jun), Public Administration Review, 69(1), 39-51 (2009)
- "Conceptualizing and measuring collaboration," (with A.M. Thomson and T. K. Miller), Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 19(1): 23-56 (2009)
- Civic Service: What Difference Does It Make? (with A.M. Thomson).Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2004. (*Winner of the Best Book Award, Public and Nonprofit Division, Academy of Management)
- "Measuring public service motivation: An assessment of construct reliability and validity" Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 6: 5-22 (1996)
- "The motivational bases of public service," (with L. Wise), Public Administration Review, 50(3): 367-73 (1990)
- “Managerial compensation based on organizational performance: a time series analysis of the effects of merit pay,” (with J. L. Pearce and W. B. Stevenson), Academy of Management Journal, 28 (2): 261-278 (1985)
- Winner of the Yoder-Heneman Award for innovative personnel research from the Society for Human Resource Management.
Reports and Publications:
- Perry, James, Laura Littlepage, Robert Christensen, and Dana Busco. Join Hands Day 2003: Evaluation Report. Indianapolis, In: Center For Urban Policy And The Environment. 2003.
- Perry, James. Quarterly Reports For The Personnel Demonstration Project For Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center. 2003.
- Perry, James, and Ann Marie Thomson. Civic Service: What Difference Does It Make? Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe. 2003.
- Perry, James. Compensation, Merit Pay, And Motivation, in Steven W. Hays and Richard C. Kearney, eds. Public Personnel Administration: Problems And Prospects, 4th Edition. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall. 2003.
- Perry, John, and Yu-Che Chen. IT Outsourcing: A Primer For Public Managers, In Mark A. Abramson And Roland S. Harris III, Eds. The Procurement Revolution. Lanham, Md:Rowman And Littlefield. 2003.
- Perry, James, and Yu-Che Chen. Outsourcing For E-Government: Managing For Success. Public Performance And Management Review 26:404-421. 2003.
- Perry, J.L. Merit Pay in the Public Sector: The Case for a Failure of Theory. In Norma Riccucci (ed.), Public Personnel Administration and Labor Relations. Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe: 64-75. 2007.
- Perry, J.L. and A.M. Thomson. The Effects of National Service in the United States: A Research Synthesis. In Amanda Moore McBride and Michael Sherraden (eds.), Civic Service Worldwide: Impacts and Inquiry. Armonk, N.Y.: M.E. Sharpe: 74-93. 2007.
- Perry, J.L. Electoral Voices Task Force (Perry, Chair and Lead Co-author). Electoral Voices: Engaging College Students in Elections. Washington, D.C.: American Association for State Colleges and Universities. 2006.
- Perry, J.L. and S.H. Jones. Quick Hits for Educating Citizens. IUB, Ind.: Indiana University Press. 2006.
- Chen, Y. and J.L. Perry. Global Healthcare Crises: How Information Technology Can Address Pandemics and Disasters. Armonk, N.Y.: IBM. 2006.
- Perry, J.L. Democracy and the New Public Service. American Review of Public Administration 37(3): 3-16. 2007.
- Imperial, M.T., J.L. Perry, and M.C. Katula. Effective Service Learning in Public Affairs: Lessons from the Literature. Journal of Public Affairs Education 13(2):231-252. 2007.
- Littlepage, L.L., J.L. Perry, J.L. Brudney, and P.K. Goff. Exemplary Volunteers: What is the Role of Faith? The International Journal of Volunteer Administration 24(5):13-25. 2007.
- Paarlberg, L. and J.L. Perry. Values Management: Aligning Individual Values and Organization Goals. American Review of Public Administration 37(4):387-408. 2007.
- Perry, J.L., D. Mesch, and L. Paarlberg. Motivating Employees in a New Governance Era: The Performance Paradigm Revisited. Public Administration Review 66(4):505-514. 2006.
- Harlow, K. and J.L. Perry. Public Affairs and Healthcare Administration: Crosscutting Competencies and Multiple Accreditation Challenges for Academic Programs. Journal of Public Affairs Education 12(2):197-211. 2006.
- Thomson, A.M. and J.L. Perry. Collaboration Processes: Inside the Black Box. Public Administration Review 66:19-32 (December). 2006.
- Paarlberg, L., Perry, J.L., and Hondeghem, Annie. 2008. From theory to practice: Strategies for applying public service motivation. In Perry, J.L. and Hondeghem, A. 2008.
- Perry, J.L. and Hondeghem, A. Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2008.
- Coursey, D., Perry, J.L., Brudney, J.L., and Littlepage, L. Psychometric verification of Perry's public service motivation instrument: Results for volunteer exemplars. Review of Public Personnel Administration, 28(1), 79-90. 2008.
- Park, H.M. and Perry, J.L. Does Internet use really facilitate civic engagement? Empirical evidence from the American national election studies.. In Erik Bergrud and Kaifeng Yang (eds.), Civic Engagement in a Network Society. Charlotte, NC: 2008.
- Perry, J.L. and Hondeghem, A. Building theory and empirical evidence about public service motivation. International Public Management Journal, 11(1), 499-518. 2008.
- Perry, J.L. and Vandenabeele, W. Behavioral dynamics: Institutions, identities, and self-regulation. In Perry, J.L. and Hondeghem, A. Motivation in Public Management: The Call of Public Service. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Pp. 56-79. 2008.
- Hondeghem, A. & Perry, J.L. EGPA symposium on public service motivation and performance: Introduction. International Review of Administrative Sciences, 75(1), 5-10. 2009.
- Lah, T. J. and Perry, J. L. The diffusion of the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 in OECD countries: A tale of two paths to reform. Review of Public Personnel Administration, 28(3), 282-299. 2008.
- Thomson, A.M., Perry, J.L. and Miller, T. K. Linking collaborative processes and outcomes: Foundations for advancing empirical theory. In L.B. Bingham and R. O'Leary (eds.), Big Ideas in Collaborative Public Management. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe. 2008.
- Perry, J.L. The quest for governance and accountability: Overcoming myths in the global public management revolution. Journal of Governance Studies, 3(1), 159-176. 2008.
- Park, H.M. and Perry, J.L.. Do campaign web sites really matter in electoral civic engagement? Empirical evidence from the 2004 post-election Internet tracking survey. Social Science Computer Review, 26 (2), 190-212. Reprinted in Panagopolous, Costa 2008.
- Christensen, R. K. and Perry, J. L. Corporate Involvement in volunteering: The business impact of a national day of service. In Matthew Liao-Troth (ed.), Challenges in Volunteer Management. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing. Pp. 227-238. 2008.
- Perry, J.L. Brudney, J., Coursey, D. and Littlepage,L. What drives morally committed citizens? A study of the antecedents of public service motivation. Public Administration Review, 68 (3), 445-458. 2008.