The Next Generation Leadership Program seeks to strengthen American democracy through broad participation in public service, diverse leadership, and constructive collaboration. NextGen Leadership works towards this aim by inspiring and preparing you to become a leader in your community and advance the public good throughout your career. Students who complete the NextGen Leadership Program will earn an e-certificate and a $500 scholarship.
Preparing you to lead us into the future
As a student in the NextGen Leadership Program, you can take classes anchored in public service values, participate in advocacy and leadership workshops, and learn from the experience of individuals at the forefront of their industry.
Public service describes an individual’s positive contribution to their community, country, or cause. The course examines public service and its historical evolution, relationships to world religions and philosophies, motivations, values, and outcomes.
All students at Indiana University are eligible to participate in workshops that focus on key topics in advocacy and leadership, such as developing a personal leadership philosophy, inspiring a team toward a vision, incorporating empathy and leadership, and leading a diverse team.
The NextGen Leadership program is open to all IU Bloomington undergrads. To participate in the program, you must:
- Be a full-time student at IU Bloomington
- Have at least two semesters remaining before graduation
- Be in good academic standing (this differs depending upon your major—check with your academic advisor if you have any questions regarding this requirement)
As an ideal candidate for the NextGen Leadership Program, you will:
- Have a commitment to service and want to be catalysts of change in your career
- View service as creating and implementing solutions for societal challenges
- Believe it is your duty to ignite social change through your work as undergraduates and career professionals
- Be a student from any and all majors who wants to build a network of like-minded, passionate individuals across disciplines
Opportunities and benefits
When you complete all required components of the NextGen Leadership Program, you will receive a NextGen Leadership Program Certificate and join the NextGen Service Partnership alumni network.
Students participating in the NexGen Leadership Program are eligible to receive an exclusive $500 scholarship to support their public service initiative.
Please note: The receipt of a scholarship may result in the reduction or repayment of need-based financial assistance previously awarded to you by Indiana University.
In accordance with federal regulations, the Office of Student Financial Assistance is required to monitor whether your total financial assistance remains within their financial need-based eligibility. Similar practices are followed with some institutional need-based grants. Whenever possible, self-help awards (loans and Federal Work-Study) are reduced before federal or institutional gift-aid.