Faculty: David Konisky
Reports and Publications:
- "What we can Learn from the Green New Deal About the Importance of Equity in National Climate Policy," (with S. Carley), Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (2021)
- “Sociodemographic Disparities in Energy Insecurity among Low-income Households Before and During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” (w. T. Memmott, S. Carley, and M. Graff), Nature Energy, 6: 186-193 (2021)
- “The Health Consequences of Excess Emissions: Evidence from Texas,” (with A. Hollingsworth, N. Zirogiannis), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 108, 102449 (2021)
- “Environmental Injustice in Clean Water Act Enforcement: Racial and Income Disparities in Inspection Time,” (with C. Reenock S. Conley), Environmental Research Letters, 6, 084020 (2021)
- “The Justice and Equity Implications of the Clean Energy Transition,” Nature Energy, vol. 5: 569-577 (2020)
- “Energy Policy and Public Opinion: Patterns, Trends, and Future Directions,” (with P. Bergquist and J. Kotcher), Progress in Energy 2(3) 032003, (2020)
- “A Framework for Evaluating Geographic Disparities in Energy Transition Vulnerability,” (with S. Carley, T. Evans, and M. Graff) Nature Energy (2018)
- “Gone with the Wind: Federalism and the Strategic Location of Air Polluters,”(with N. Woods and J. Monogan III), American Journal of Political Science,(2016)
- “Extreme Weather Events and Climate Change Concern,” (with L. Hughes and C.H. Kaylor), Climatic Change, (2016)
- “When Governments Regulate Governments,” (with M. Teodoro), American Journal of Political Science (2016)
Reports and Publications:
- “Electric Utility Disconnection Policy and Vulnerable Populations,” (with Sanya Carley; Matthew Flaherty), The Electricity Journal, 33 (10) 106859, (December 2020)
- “Extreme Weather and Climate Opinion: Evidence from Australia,” (with Llewelyn Hughes; Sandra Potter), Climatic Change, 163 (2) 723-43 (November 2020)
- Handbook of US Environmental Policy, (editor), Edward Elgar Publishing (2020)
- “Backyard Voices: How Sense of Place Shapes Views of Large-Scale Energy Transmission Infrastructure,” (with Parrish Bergquist; Sanya Carley; Stephen Ansolabehere), Energy Research & Social Science, (May 2020)
- ”Are all Electrons the Same? Evaluating Support for Local Transmission Lines through a Survey Experiment,” (with S. Carley and S. Ansolabehere), PLOS One, (2019)
- "Environmental Attitudes across Race and Ethnicity," (with A. Lazri), Social Science Quarterly, (2019)
- "Racial, Ethnic, and Income Disparities in Air Pollution: A Study of Excess Emissions in Texas," (with Z. Li and N. Zirogiannis), PLOS One, (2019)
- "The Killing of Cecil the Lion as an Impetus for Policy Change," (with S. Carpenter), Oryx, 53 (4): 698-706, (2019)
- "The State of American Federalism 2018-2019: Litigation, Partisan Polarization, and the Administrative Presidency," (with G. Goelzhauser), Publius: The Journal of Federalism, 49 (3): 379-406, (2019)
- "Environmental Policy," (with N. Woods), chapter in Politics in the American States, Washington, DC: CQ Press, (2018)
- "Stakeholder Perceptions of the U.S. Energy Transition: Local-Level Dynamics and Community Responses to National Politics and Policy," (with M. Graff, S. Carley, and T. Evans), Energy Research & Social Science, 43: 144-157, (2018)
- "Vulnerability and the U.S. Energy Transition," (with S. Carley, T. Evans, and M. Graff), Nature Energy, 3: 621-627, (2018)
- "The Greening of Christianity? A Study of Environmental Attitudes Over Time," Environmental Politics, 27 (2): 267-291, (2018)
- “Environmental Federalism and the Trump Presidency: A Preliminary Assessment,” (with N. Woods), Publius: The Journal of Federalism (April 20, 2018)
- "Environmental Justice," chapter in Environmental Governance Reconsidered, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, (2017)
- “The killing of Cecil the Lion as an impetus for policy change,” (with S. Carpenter), Oryx – the International Journal of Conservation (2017)
- Failed Promises: Evaluating the Federal Government’s Response to Environmental Justice, ed., Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (2015)
- Cheap and Clean: How Americans Think about Energy in the Age of Global Warming, (with S. Ansolabehere), Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (2014)
- “Compliance Bias and Environmental (In)Justice,” (with C. Reenock) The Journal of Politics 75 (2): 506-519 (2013)
- “Case Selection in Public Management Research: Problems and Solutions,” (with C. Reenock), Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 23(2): 361-393 (2013)
- “Environmental Free Riding in State Water Pollution Enforcement,” (with N.D. Woods), State Politics & Policy Quarterly 12 (3): 227-252 (2012)
- “Penalizing the Party: Health Care Reform Issue Voting in the 2010 Election,” American Politics Research 40(5): 903-926 (with Lilliard E. Richardson, Jr.). “Measuring State Environmental Policy,” Review of Policy Research 29(4): 544-569 (with Neal D. Woods).
- “Public Approval of U.S. State Legislatures,” Legislative Studies Quarterly 37(1): 99-116 (with Lilliard E. Richardson, Jr. and Jeffrey Milyo).
- “The Effects of Uncontested Elections on Legislator Performance,” Legislative Studies Quarterly 36(2): 199-229 (with Michiko Ueda).
- “Public Preferences for Environmental Policy Responsibility,” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 41(1): 76-100.
- “Exporting Air Pollution? Regulatory Enforcement and Environmental Free Riding in the United States,” Political Research Quarterly 63(4): 771-782 (with Neal D. Woods).
- “Examining Environmental Justice in Facility-Level Regulatory Enforcement,” Social Science Quarterly 91(3): 835-855 (with Tyler S. Schario).
- “Assessing U.S. State Susceptibility to Environmental Regulatory Competition,” State Politics and Policy Quarterly 9(4): 404-428.
- “Public Attitudes toward Construction of New Power Plants,” Public Opinion Quarterly 73(3): 566-577 (with Stephen Ansolabehere).
- “The Limited Effects of Federal Environmental Justice Policy on State Enforcement,” Policy Studies Journal 37(3): 475-496.
- “Inequities in Enforcement? Environmental Justice and Government Performance,” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 28(1): 102-121.
- “You Get What You Pay For: Environmental Policy and Public Health,” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 39(1): 95-116 (with Neal D. Woods and Ann O’M Bowman).
- “Environmental Policy Attitudes: Issues, Geographical Scale, and Political Trust,” Social Science Quarterly 89(5): 1066-1085 (with Jeffrey Milyo and Lilliard E. Richardson, Jr.).
- “Bureaucratic and Public Attitudes toward Environmental Regulation and the Economy,” State and Local Government Review 40(3): 139-149.
- “Regulatory Competition and Environmental Enforcement: Is There a Race to the Bottom?” American Journal of Political Science 51(4): 853-872.
- “Local Institutions and Environmental Outcomes: Evidence from Wetlands Protection in Massachusetts,” Policy Studies Journal 35(3): 481-502 (with Stephen M. Meyer).
- “Adopting Local Environmental Institutions: Environmental Need and Economic Constraints,” Political Research Quarterly 60(1): 3-16 (with Stephen M. Meyer).
- “The Introduction of Voter Registration and its Effect on Turnout,” Political Analysis 14(1): 83-100 (with Stephen Ansolabehere).
- “Innovations in Public Participation and Environmental Planning: Examples from the Great Lakes Region,” Society and Natural Resources 14(9): 815-826 (with Thomas C. Beierle).
- “What are We Gaining from Public Participation? Observations from Environmental Planning in the Great Lakes,” Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 19(4): 515-527 (with Thomas C. Beierle).
- “Over a Decade of Comparative Risk Analysis: A Review of the Human Health Rankings,” Risk: Health, Safety & Environment 12(1/2): 41-58.
- “Values, Conflict, and Trust in Participatory Environmental Planning.” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 19(4): 587-602 (with Thomas C. Beierle).
- “State of the Nation: Who Cares About Climate Change,” Boston Review, July/August 2014 (with Stephen Ansolabehere).
- “The Clean and Efficient Energy Future Americans Want.” Scholars Strategy Network Key Findings Brief, July 2014 (with Stephen Ansolabehere).
- “Environmental Policy,” In Guide to State Politics and Policy, Richard G. Niemi and Joshua J. Dyck, eds. Washington, DC: CQ Press, pp.383-393.
- “The American Public’s Energy Choice,” Daedalus 141(2): 61-71 (with Stephen Ansolabehere).
- “Environmental Policy,” In Politics in the American States, 10th ed. Virginia Gray, Russell L. Hanson, and Thad Kousser, eds. Washington, DC: CQ Press (with Neal D. Woods), pp. 469-500.
- “What Missouri Thinks: An Examination of Public Attitudes,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Report 08-2009 (with James R. Harrington).
- “Public Attitudes on State Election Administration, Goals, and Reforms,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Report 05-2009 (with Michael A. Powell).
- “Environmental Justice and Government Behavior: A Summary of New Findings,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Policy Report 24-2008 (with Tyler Schario).
- Environmental Regulations, Aseem Prakash and Matthew Potoski. Perspectives on Politics 7(1): 228-299.
- “Public Approval for State Government Institutions,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Policy Report 15-2008 (with Diana Gaughan).
- “Public Confidence in Government: Trust and Responsiveness,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Report 09-2008 (with Tyler Schario).
- “Public Attitudes on the Environment,” University of Missouri Institute of Public Policy, Report 04-2008.
- 2000 Environmental Implications of the Foodservice and Food Retail Industries. RFF Discussion Paper 00-11 (with Terry Davies).
- “The United Nations Dispute Settlement System and International Environmental Disputes,” Journal of Public and International Affairs 9: 1-23.
- “Environmentalism in Mexico: More Than Ecology,” Yale Latin American & Iberian Journal 1 (1): 18-32.