Faculty: Burnell Fischer
Reports and Publications:
- “Does collaborative tree planting between nonprofits and neighborhood groups improve neighborhood community capacity?” (with S.L. Watkins, J. Vogt, S.K. Mincey, R.A. Bergmann, S.E. Widney, L.M. Westphal, S. Sweeney), Cities (8 January 2018)
- “Defining urban ecology and connection to urban forestry,” Indiana Arborist Newsletter (Winter) 14-15. Reprinted in Agricultural Research and Technology, Open Access Journal ISSN 2471-6774 Opinion Vol 2(4)1p DOI:10.19080/ARTOAJ.2017.04.555637 (2017)
- “Tree mortality undercuts ability of tree-planting programs to provide benefits: Results of a three-city study,” ( with S.E. Widney, J. Vogt) Forests, 7(3): 65. DOI: 10.3390/f7030065. Special issue on “Urban and Peri-urban Forest Diversity and Ecosystem Services.” (2016)
- “Urban forestry and arboriculture as interdisciplinary environmental science: Importance and incorporation of other disciplines,” (with J.M. Vogt, R.J. Hauer), Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, 6(2):371-386. DOI: 10.1007/s13412-015-0309-x. (2016; published online 11 August 2015)
- "Explaining planted-tree survival and growth in urban neighborhoods: A social-ecological approach to studying recently-planted trees in Indianapolis," (with J. Vogt, S.Watkins, S. Mincey, and M. Patterson) Landscape and Urban Planning, 136, pages 120-143, April 2015
- "Variations in the social networks of forest owners: The effect of management activity, resource professionals, and ownership size," (with T. Ruseva, T. Evans) Small-scale Forestry 13(3): 377-395 (2014)
- "A protocol for citizen science monitoring of recently-planted urban trees," (with J. Vogt), Cities and the Environment (CATE), Vol. 7: Iss. 2, Article 4, 26p.(2014)
- "Evaluating the USFS State & Private Forestry Redesign Program: A first look at policy implications," (with M. Cox, K. Mincey, T. B. Ruseva, and S. Tomas-Villamayor), Ecological Economics, 85:35-42 (2013)
- "Missing ecology: Integrating ecological perspectives with the social-ecological systems framework," (with M. Cox, G. Epstein, S.K. Mincey, and J.M. Vogt), International Journal of the Commons, 7(2) 432-453 (2013)
- “Structuring institutional analysis for urban ecosystems: A key to sustainable urban forest management,” (with T. Evans, S. M. Hutten, K. Mincey, S. Stewart, and J.M. Vogt), Urban Ecosystems, 16: 553-571 (2013).
- “Public-private interactions in the conservation of private forests in the United States,” (with T. B. Ruseva), in Human Environment Environment Interactions: Current and Future Directions, (E.S. Brondizio & E.F. Moran,Eds.). Newark, NJ: Springer (2013).
- “Private residential urban forest structure and carbon storage in moderate-sized urban area in the Midwest United States,” (with T. Evans, S.K. Mincey, M. Patterson, and M. Schmitt-Harsh), Urban Forests & Urban Greening 12(4) 454-463 (2013).
- “The shared stewardship and leadership of our private forests: Insights from forest landowners’ personal networks,” (with T. B. Ruseva), in Environmental Leadership: A Reference Handbook (D.R. Gallagher (Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2012.
- “Using stocking guides to take stock of forest institutions,” (with E. A. Coleman, and J.A. Kershaw), Society and Natural Resources 25:2009-15 (2012).
- “The U.S. forest service and Its responsibilities under the national environmental policy act: A work design problem,” (with M. Auer, C. Freitag, J. Grice, K. Richards, and D. Seesholtz,), Public Organization Review, 11: 135-153 (2011).
Reports and Publications:
- Fischer, B.C. "State Trends in Forest/Wildlife Issues: An Indiana Division of Forestry Perspective." (B.K. Miller ed.) Managing Forests for Sustainable Wildlife, Purdue University Extension Service Bulletin. 2005.
- Fischer, B.C. "The Division of Forestry and the Indiana Bat 2004 Status." The Woodland Steward 13(2):11. 2004.
- Fischer, B.C. The Need for Alternative Institutions for Management of Forest Land across Boundaries in Indiana. Forest Land Conservation: An Indiana Portfolio. Workshop presented by the Center for the Study of Institutions, Population, Environmental. 2004.
- Fischer, B.C., M. Steinhoff, S.K. Mincey, and L. Dye. The 2007 IUB Street Tree Report: An Analysis of Demographics and Ecosystem Services. IUB, Ind.: Urban Forestry Report 01-07. 2007.
- Arnold, G., J. Bauer, B. Fischer, F. Fleischman, M. Midgley, S. Mincey, M.P. Priebe, K. Souzq, C. Tucker, and S.V. Tomas. An Initial Visit to the Yellowwood Lake Watershed Forest. International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program. 2007.
- Farmer, J.R. and B.C. Fischer. Motivations for the Use of Conservation Easements as Tools for Personal Land Conservation and Preservation in Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: Abstracts, Indiana Academy of Science, 123rd Annual Meeting. 2007.
- Mincey, S.K. and B.C. Fischer. STRATUM (Street Tree Resource Analysis Tool for Urban Forest Managers): An Analysis and Recent Case Study from IUB, Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: Abstracts, Indiana Academy of Science, 123rd Annual Meeting. 2007.
- Bauer, J., B. Fischer, G. Garcia-Lopez, R. Holahan, P. Kashwan, E. Ostrom, and B. Steed. Revisiting the Elvin H.O.M.E. Inc. and the Lothlorien Forest. International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program, IUB, Ind. 2006.
- Fischer, B.C. and B.C. Steed. 2008 Street Trees: A Misunderstood Common Pool Resource. Proceedings of the 84th International Society of Arboriculture Annual Conference, St. Lous, MO. 18p
- B.C. Steed and B.C. Fischer. Proceedings 12th Biennial Conference of the International Association for the Study of the Commons, University of Gloucestershire, Cheltenham, England, 19p. 2008.
- Morrissey, R.C., D.F. Jacobs, J.R. Seifert, B.C. Fischer and J.R. Kershaw. Competitive success of natural oak regenerations in clearcuts during the stem exclusion stage. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 38:1419-1430. 2008.
- Morrissey, R.C., M-M Gautheir, J.A. Kershaw, Jr., D.F. Jacobs, J.R. Seifert and B.C. Fischer. Grapevine (Vitis spp.) dynamics in association with manual tending, physiography, and host tree associations in temperate deciduous forests. Forest Ecology and Management 257(8): 1839-1846. 2009.
- Auer, M., K. Richard, D. Seesholtz, B. Fischer, C. Freitag and J. Grice. The U.S. Forest Service and Its Responsibilities under the Naitonal Environmental Policy Act: A Work Design Problem. Public Organization Review DOI 10.1007/s1115-010-0115-6 (published online: 08 May 2010)
- Fischer, B.C. and T.B. Ruseva. What is Happening In and Outside Americas Private Woodlands" Journal of Forestry 108(6): 304-306. 2010.
- Tucker, C., A. Argrawal and B.C. Fischer. The International Forestry Resources and Institutions Research Program: An Elinor Ostrom Creation. Journal of Transnational Corporations Review Vol 2, No 1, p. 37-41. 2010.
- Farmer, J., Knapp, D., Meretsky, V., Chancellor, C., Fischer, B. Place attachment and the adoption of conservation easements. Conservation Biology 25(4):827-834. 2011.
- Coleman, E.A., B.C. Fischer and J.A. Kershaw, Jr. Using Stocking Guides to Take Stock of Forest Institutions. Society and Natural Resources. DOI: 10.1080/08941920.2011.585390. 2011.
- Farmer, J.R., Chancellor, C. and Fischer, B.C. Space to romp and roam and how it may promote land conservation. Natural Areas Journal 31:340-348. 2011.
- Farmer, J., Chancellor, C., and Fischer, B. Motivations for using conservation easements as a land protection mechanism: a mixed methods analysis. Natural Areas Journal, 31(1), 80-87. 2011.
- Fleischman, F.D., K. Boenning, G.A. Garcia-Lopez, S.K. Mincey, M. Schmitt-Harsh, K. Daedlow, M.C. Lopez, X. Basurto, B.C. Fischer and E. Ostrom. Disturbance, Response, and Persistence in Self-Organized Forested Communities: Analysis of Robustness and Resilience in Five Communities in Southern Indiana. Ecology and Society 15(4): 9. (online) URL: http:/www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol15/iss4/art9/ 2010.
- Auer, M., K. Richards, D. Seesholtz, B. Fischer, C. Freitag and J. Grice. The U.S. Forest Service and Its Responsibilities under the National Environmental Policy Act: A Work Design Problem. Public Organization Review DOI 10.1007/s11115-010-0115-6,p. 135-153. 2011.