Faculty: Matthew Baggetta
Reports and Publications:
- “Observing Civic Engagement: Using Systematic Social Observation to Study Civil Society Organization Convenings,” (with B. Fulton), VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, (online first, 2021)
- “Interpreting Unrest: How Violence Changes Public Opinions about Social Movements,” (with D. Myers), Social Movement Studies, (online first, 2021)
- “Systematic Social Observation in the Study of Civic Activity,” (with D. Bredenkamp), Sociological Methods & Research, (online first, 2019)
- “The Trouble With Types: A Partial Test of the Validity of Membership Association Content as a Proxy for Structure,” (with K.D. Madsen), Nonprofit & Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 48(2):334-359, (2019)
- “Representative Bridging: Voluntary Associations’ Potential for Creating Bridging Ties in Demographically Diverse Urban Areas,” Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 45 (1S):72S-94S, (2015)
- “Context-based instruction: What traditional social science disciplines offer to nonprofit management”, (with J.N. Brass), Journal of Public Affairs Education. 20 (4), (2014)
- “Leading associations: How individual characteristics and team dynamics generate committed leaders”,(with H. Han & K. Andrews), American Sociological Review. 78 (4), (2013) *Winner of the 2013 Outstanding Academic Publication on Membership Organizations Award by the Institute for Nonprofit Research, Education, and Engagement at North Carolina State University.
- “Learning civic leadership: Leader skill development in the Sierra Club”, (with C. Lim, K. Andrews, M. Ganz, & H. Han), in Interest Group Politics (8th ed.) (Cigler, A. and Loomis, B. Eds.). Washington, D.C.: CQ Press (2011)
- “The relationship of leadership quality to the political presence of civic associations”, (with K. Andrews, M. Ganz, H. Han, & C. Lim), Perspectives on Politics, 9 (1), (2011)
- “Leadership, membership, and voice: Civic associations that work”, (with K. Andrews, M. Ganz, H. Han, & C. Lim), American Journal of Sociology, 115 (4), (2010)
- “Civic opportunities in associations: Interpersonal interaction, governance experience, and institutional relationships”, Social Forces, 88 (1), (2009)
Reports and Publications:
- Baggetta, M. "Civic Opportunities in Associations: Interpersonal Interaction, Governance Experience, and Institutional Relationship." Social Forces, 88(1). 2009.
- Andrews, K., Ganz, M., Baggetta, M., Han, H., Lim, C. "Membership, Leadership, and Voice: Civic Associations that Work." American Journal of Sociology, 115(4). 2010.
- Han, H., Andrews, K., Ganz, M., Baggetta, M., and Lim, C. "The Relationship of Leadership Quality to the Political Presence of Civic Associations." Perspectives on Politics, 9(1):45-59. 2011.
- Baggetta, M., Lim, C., Andrews, K., and Ganz, M., Han, H. "Learning Civic Leadership: Leader Skill Development in the Sierra Club." Pp. 110-138 in Interest Group Politics (8th Edition). Cigler, A. and Loomis, B. (editors). Washington, D.C.: CQ Press. 2011.