- (812) 855-7980
- Room Number:
- Areas of Interest:
- Government Finance ,
- Ed.D., Leadership, Oakland City University, 2012
- M.S. Financial Management, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 1994
- B.S., Political Science, United States Naval Academy, 1989
- V372 Government Finance
Dr. John Shassberger serves as a Naval Sea Systems Command Business & Financial Manager at NSWC Crane. He manages an annual operational budget of over $100 million and is financially responsible for a $3 billion U.S. Congressionally Appropriated Department of Defense program.
Before starting his second career in government finance, Dr. Shassberger served as an active duty naval officer for 21 years and retired as a Commander in 2010. While on active duty he commanded a U.S. Navy warship and served as the Commanding Officer of the Navy’s 3rd largest naval installation. As the CO at NSA Crane he managed the daily operations of one of the largest employers in Southern Indiana with over 5,000 employees providing over $1.5 billion budget base annually into the local Indiana economy. In 2008 he created a State of Indiana 501(c)3 non-profit organization to help support local education in Monroe County.
Shassberger earned his Doctorate Degree from Oakland City University in 2012 in Leadership. His doctoral dissertation researched the effect of serving in an operational versus non-operational organization on public service employee motivation. He earned his Masters of Science Degree in Financial Management from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA and his Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD.
He is currently an adjunct instructor at Indiana University-Bloomington teaching state and local government finance. He and his wife Heather have seven children together and live in Bloomington.
- Deputy Director, Professional Development, United States Naval Academy, 1998-2002
- United States Naval Academy Colleen S. Smiley-Owendoff Teaching Excellence Award (2000)
- Served on the Midwest executive steering committee to help set strategic direction for a 16 state region.
- Regularly attended southern Indiana mayor’s roundtable meetings to discuss community planning initiatives.