- (812) 855-0733
- Room Number:
- MSBII 418
- Areas of Interest:
- Environmental microbiology, bioremediation, and biogeochemistry with a focus on the microbial reduction of iron oxides and nitrate, microbial iron oxidation, biotransformation of metals and chlorinated hydrocarbons, anaerobic carbon metabolism in coal beds, and combined microbial:geochemical interactions
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Swiss Federal Institute for Water Resources and Water Pollution Control, 1993
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Arizona, 1992
- M.Eng., Stevens Institute of Technology, 1988
- B.A., University of Rochester, 1972
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Soil Science
- Subsurface Microbiology and Bioremediation
- Water Supply and Wastewater Treatment
It is with great sadness that we share the news that Professor Emeritus Flynn Picardal passed away on January 4, 2020.
Dr. Flynn Picardal was a professor emeritus at O'Neill with adjunct appointments in the Indiana University Biology Department and Department of Geological Sciences. His research focused on interdisciplinary aspects of environmental microbiology, bioremediation, and biogeochemistry. His research has received grant funding from the National Science Foundation, the Department of Energy, the Petroleum Research Fund, and the Battelle Memorial Institute. Picardal was a Fulbright Senior Scholar in 2001 and has served on the editorial boards for Applied and Environmental Microbiology and ES&T Letters journals.
Picardal spent over a decade working in the industrial safety and health field in consulting and management. While a PhD student, he conducted a summer research practicum at the Savannah River Laboratory, in Aiken, South Carolina, and participated in the Microbial Ecology and Diversity course at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
Prior to joining IU in 1993, Picardal spent a year as a postdoctoral researcher at the Swiss Federal Institute for Water Resources and Water Pollution Control (EAWAG) near Zürich. He has also spent year-long sabbaticals at the Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology in Bremen, Germany, and at the Technische Universität-Berlin in Germany, as well as a summer of research at the University of Bayreuth in Germany.
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, U.S. State Department
- Visiting Scientist, Department of Environmental Microbiology, Berlin Institute of Technology, Germany
- 1997 O'Neill Undergraduate Teaching Award, Indiana University
- 1997 Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, Indiana University
In the News
- "Blue Ribbon Committee to Assess Establishment of New Engineering Program at IU Bloomington" - IU Newsroom, November 12, 2014
- “Effect of silicic acid on the aggregation properties of goethite,” (with M.N. Nguyen, L. Nguyen-Thanh, S. Dultz, Than T.N. Dam, K.M. Nguyen), European Journal of Soil Science, 68 (5) 650-657 (September 2017)
- “Desulfuromonas carbonis sp. nov., an Fe(III)-, So-, and Mn(IV)-reducing bacterium isolated from an active coalbed methane gas well,” (with T.T. An International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology (2015)
- “Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal," (with A. Furmann, A. Schimmelmann, S.C. Brassell, and M. Mastalerz), Chemical Geology 339:226-241 (2013)
- “Abiotic and Microbial Interactions during Anaerobic Transformations of Fe and NOx-,”Frontiers in Microbiology 3:112 (2012)
- “Fe(II)-dependent growth and Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechlorospirillum species,” (with Z. Zaybak, A. Chakraborty, J. Schieber, and U. Szewzyk), FEMS Microbiology Letters 319:51-57 (2011)
- "Desulfocarbo indianensis gen. nov., sp. nov., a benzoate-oxidizing, sulfate-reducing bacterium isolated from water extracted from a coal bed," (with T. T. An), International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 64: 2907-2914 (2014)
- "Induction of nitrate-dependent Fe(II) oxidation by Fe(II) in Dechloromonas sp. strain UWNR4 and Acidovorax sp. strain 2AN," (with A. Chakraborty), Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 79: 748-752 (2013)
- “Enhanced growth of Acidovorax sp. strain 2AN during nitrate-Dependent Fe(II) oxidation in batch and continuous-flow systems," (with A. Chakraborty, E. E. Roden, and J. Schieber), Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 8548-8556 (2011)
- "Repeated anaerobic microbial redox cycling of iron," (with A. J. Coby, E. Shelobolina, H. Xu, and E. E. Roden), Applied and Environmental Microbiology,77, 6036-6042 (2011)