Human Resources

New Employee Resources

Starting a new job is an exciting and at times overwhelming experience. Our team has compiled an array of useful resources to help you navigate the complexities of your journey with the university in one convenient location.


Student Employment

  • Temporary Hourly: This is the standard category for most students. Employees are paid biweekly based on the number of hours recorded on their timesheets. Students employed in this classification may work no more than 29 hours per week for domestic students, or 20 hours per week for international students. This type of appointment is available to anyone, regardless of academic standing.
  • Student Academic: This category of employment is reserved for graduate students only. This is a benefits-eligible position, providing health insurance, fee remission, and access to staff-level parking permits. The employee is paid monthly, and work assignments must be scheduled for 15-20 hours per week.

  • Temporary Hourly: Hourly student employee pay rates are determined by their academic standing. Undergraduates earn $10.15 per hour, masters students earn $14.25 per hour. Very few Ph.D. students hold hourly appointments, so their rate of pay is determined by supervisor preference and available funding.
  • Student Academic: Pay for student acadmic appointments will vary based on the number of assigned hours per week. The number of assigned hours must be 15-20, with the specific number being designated by the direct supervisor or the student's program office. Please consult with the O'Neill School's HR staff with questions about pay rates for the current academic year.

  • All Classifications: All employers are subject to Social Security and Medicare (FICA) taxes. The current rate is 6.62%, subject to change at the beginning of each fiscal year (July 1).
  • Student Academic: Student academic employees receive health insurance subsidized by the account that funds their payroll. View the current premium here. Students in this employment classification are also eligible for fee remission, depending on the number of work hours assigned to their contract. For more information on fee remission guidelines, please contact the O'Neill School Human Resources team.

  • Who do I contact? Before students may begin working, the supervisor must contact the Human Resources office at and supply the student's legal name, email address, rate of pay, account number, and expected start date. Not supplying this required information will result in delays which may affect the student's ability to start their employment.
  • When can the student start working? Students may not begin work until they have completed all of the required paperwork, their background check has returned a result of Meets University Standards, and they have presented original, unexpired photo identification and proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. in person to the O'Neill School's Human Resources staff. This entire process can take up to two weeks, so please do not ask students to begin work the day that you hire them.
  • Who can submit a hiring request? Student appointment information must be submitted by the hiring manager. Hiring requests submitted by students will not be accepted.
50 years at O'Neill