- (812) 856-4925
- Room Number:
- Areas of Interest:
- International Affairs ,
- Poverty Alleviation ,
- Corporate and Public Sector Strategy ,
- Country Competitiveness ,
- Financial Markets ,
- Economic Development ,
- Education ,
- Good Governance and Policy Analysis
- M.A.L.D., The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University
- B.B.A., Ross School of Business, University of Michigan
- International Development Finance
- National and International Policy
- Honors National and International Policy
- Security and Development in the Balkans
- Public Policy in Cuba - A Comparative Study
- Policy-making around the World: Comparative and International Approaches
- Managing Hazards in Europe and the United States
- Financing Sustainable Development
Dan Preston is a clinical associate professor and an affiliate faculty member at the Russian and East European Institute and Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies at Indiana University. Professor Preston's academic and professional work focuses on finance as a catalyst for international development, policy analysis, international relations, and teaching pedagogy.
He teaches courses covering topics ranging from public affairs and international comparative policy to finance and economic development. He collaborates with and advises various international organizations and think tanks such as the OECD, World Economic Forum, Center for Global Development, United Nations, and African Center for Economic Transformation. He also serves as a member and treasurer of the Board of Directors of the Creative Action Institute.
The study abroad courses he created enable students to study international security, conflict resolution, nation building, and economic development in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, comparative policy and governance focusing on social security, healthcare, education, foreign affairs, and economic model in Cuba, and blended finance tailored to mobilizing private finance for development in the United Kingdom.
He serves the university in many capacities involving curriculum, strategic planning, personnel review, overseas education, course internationalization, and peer assessment of teaching. He plays an active role for O'Neill in forming new global partnerships involving dual degree programs, O'Neill's online MPA degree program, student semester abroad programs, executive education, and faculty exchange.
Preston's professional interests include international affairs, poverty alleviation, public policy, good governance, financing for development, and education. His professional and personal experiences have spanned 70 countries and territories. Prior to O'Neill, he held investment banking positions with Citigroup in the U.S. and France specializing in economic advisory, debt management, and capital raising for sovereign governments in Europe, Africa, and Asia and securitization programs for corporations primarily in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Japan. Preston also worked as a management consultant for Booz Allen Hamilton, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Information Resources on a range of strategic issues for Fortune 500 companies, technology start-ups, and the U.S. Defense Department.
- 2016 O'Neill Teaching Award: The Orville W. Powell Inspiration Award
- 2014 O'Neill Teaching Award, Outstanding Undergraduate Instruction, Indiana University
- 2013 O'Neill Teaching Award, Outstanding Undergraduate Instruction, Indiana University
- 2013 O'Neill Recognition Award, Best Overseas Education Program, Indiana University
- Director of O'Neill in Croatia
- Director of O'Neill in Cuba
- Vice President, Public Sector Group, Citigroup
- Associate, Global Securitized Markets, Citigroup
- Manager, Strategic Consulting Group, Information Resources Inc.
- Strategy Consultant, Management Consulting Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers
In the News
- "Experts Propose Stretch Fund to Finance SDGs" - SDG Update, December 10, 2019
- "Opinion: The potential for an SDG mobilization conduit" - Devex, March 22, 2019
- "CIBER Focus" - Kelley Institute for International Business, August 27, 2015
- "IU students reflect on trip to Cuba" - WISHTV, April 13, 2015
- "The Stretch Fund: Bridging the Gap in the Development Finance Architecture," (with N. Lee), Center for Global Development brief (December 4, 2019)
- "Chapter 2: The imperative of blended finance," "Chapter 5: Blended finance instruments and mechanisms" (with W. Bartz-Zuccala), and "Chapter 7: Insights from project-level case studies on blended finance" (with W. Bartz-Zuccala), in Making Blended Finance Work for the Sustainable Development Goals, OECD (January 29, 2018)
- Blended Finance, (with P. Moss), World Economic Forum (November 9, 2017)
- “Payouts for Perils: Using Insurance to Radically Improve Emergency Aid,” (member of the Payouts for Perils Working Group with T. Talbot), The Center for Global Development, (April 19, 2017)