- (812) 855-0492
- Room Number:
- Areas of Interest:
- Theory and practice of benefit-cost analysis ,
- Environmental and natural resource modeling and policy evaluation
- Ph.D., Duke University, 1988
- M.S., Duke University, 1985
- B.A., Grinnell College, 1977
- Benefit-Cost Analysis of Public & Environmental Policies
- Financial Analysis & Cost Benefit
- Environmental Economics and Finance
Dr. Kerry Krutilla is an expert on the theory and practice of benefit-cost analysis. He also specializes in environmental and natural resource modeling and policy evaluation. Current research focuses on the economic evaluation of federal regulations; the implications of transaction costs for the assessment of environmental policy; the evaluation of cybersecurity investments; and the use of distributional accounting formats within benefit-cost analysis. Dr. Krutilla has conducted contract research for the World Bank, the U.S. Agency for International Development, and the Departments of Energy and Agriculture, and lectured or taught in Azerbaijan, Brazil, Spain, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
In the News
- "On Balance: Communicating about Benefit-Cost Analysis" - Society for Benefit-Cost Analysis, June 8, 2018
- “Human Development Over Time: An Empirical Comparison of a Dynamic Index and the Standard HDI,” (with N. Zirogiannis, Y. Tripodis, and K. Fledderman), Social Indicators Research, 1-26, (2018)
- “Regulatory Reform in the Trump Era,” (with K.B. Belton and J.D. Graham), Public Administration Review, 77 (5) 643-44 (August 29, 2017)
- Cost‐Benefit Analysis of Waste Management Strategies for the Adjara AR and the Kakheti Region of Georgia. Waste Management Technologies in Regions, Georgia; U.S. Agency for International Development. (2016)
- “Environmental taxation and the double dividend in decentralized jurisdictions,” (with A. Alexeev, D. Good), Ecological Economics 22: 90–100 (2016)
- “Uncertainty in the cost-effectiveness of federal air quality regulations,” (with D.H. Good and J.D. Graham) Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, 6(1): 66-111. doi:10.1017/bca.2015.7 (2015)
- “The political transaction costs and uncertainties of establishing environmental rights,” (with A. Alexeev) Ecological Economics, 107, 299-309 (2014)
- “Are green vehicles worth the extra cost? The case of diesel-electric hybrid technology for urban delivery vehicles,” (with J. Graham), Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(3): 501-532 (2012)
- “The normative implications of political decision-making for benefit-cost analysis,” (with A. Alexeev), Journal of Benefit-Cost Analysis, 3(2): Article 2. (2012)
- “Transaction costs and environmental policy: An assessment framework and literature review,” (with R. Krause), International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics 4(3/4): 261-354 (2011)
- “Surface water quality in the Carpathian Basin: Current status and future directions,” (with K. Logan), Hungarian Studies 23(2): 153–173 (2009)
- Krutilla, K. and A. Alexeev. “Environmental Rights Conflict and Institutional Choice.” 6th World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists. Gothenburg, Sweden. June 25-29, 2018
- Krutilla, K. “A Taxonomy for Improved Regulatory Evaluation.” Tenth Annual Conference and Meeting of the Society for Benefit-Cost Analysis. March 14-16, 2018.
- Alexeev, A., E. Jardine, and K. Krutilla. "Cybersecurity Investment as A Differential Game." The Annual Meeting of the Society of Risk Analysis, Arlington, Virginia, December 10-14. 2017.
- Aiken, D., DH Good, K Krutilla, “Uncertainty Analysis in RIAs for Transportation Safety and Air Pollution Regulations.” The Annual Meeting of the Society of Risk Analysis, Arlington, Virginia, December 10-14, 2017.
- K. Krutilla. “Property Rights Conflict in Environmental Policy Design: A Normative Evaluation.” University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. November 16, 2017.
- Alexeev, A., E. Jardine, and K. Krutilla. “Optimal Investment in Cyber Attack and Resilience.” Workshop IST-153-RWS on Cyber Resilience. The NATO Science and Technology Organization, Munich, Germany. October 23-25, 2017.
- Good, D., K. Krutilla, S. Chien, L. Li, Y. Chen. “Analysis of Potential Co-Benefits for Bicyclist Crash Imminent Braking Systems.” The IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Yokohama, Japan, October 16 - 19, 2017.
- Good, D.H. and K. Krutilla. “The Implications of Addressing Particle Toxicity in Air Regulation: Learning from the European Experience.” Society of Risk Analysis Europe, Lisbon, Portugal. June 19-21, 2017.
- Krutilla, K. “Optimal Investment In Cybersecurity.” Inaugural Symposium on Cybersecurity and Internet Governance. Ostrom Workshop, Bloomington, Indiana. April 27-28, 2017.
- Krutilla, K., and D.H. Good. “Uncertainty Evaluation in DOT and EPA RIAs of Lifesaving Regulations.” Ninth Annual Conference and Meeting of the Society for Benefit-Cost Analysis. March 16-17, 2017.