- (812) 855-0732
- Areas of Interest:
- Interaction of public policy, organizational structure, and management practice ,
- Special interest in the relationship between education and economic development and in the impacts of information technology on the structure and management of public and nonprofit enterprise
- Ph.D., Syracuse University, 1969
- A.B., Dartmouth College, 1964
- Public Management
- Strategic Management
Dr. Eugene B. McGregor, Jr., specializes in the interaction of politics, public policy, and management practice. He has spent his career studying comparative approaches to complex public systems with an emphasis on strategic management and decision making. McGregor has authored over two dozen refereed journal articles, reviews, and book chapters. Books include: Strategic Management of Human Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Workforce Decision Making in the Post-Industrial Era (Jossey-Bass, 1991) and co-authorship of three texts on approaches to public affairs problems, the last of which was American Public Policy Problems, 2nd Edition (Prentice-Hall, 2000) with Charles F. Bonser and Clinton V. Oster, Jr. He also served as book review editor for the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
McGregor joined O'Neill in 1973. Over the years, he has served as director of the Master of Public Affairs degree program, Joint (with Political Science) Ph.D. Program in Public Policy, chair of Policy and Administration and Policy Analysis faculties, and director of O'Neill's Overseas Education programs. He was visiting professor in the Netherlands at Leiden University and Erasmus University of Rotterdam and served in numerous consultancies, including: Goddard Space flight Center (NASA); the U.S. Department of Labor and General Accountability Office; the United Nations' International Seminar at the People's Republic of China; and, in addition, the National Academy of Public Administration, Indiana Department of Mental Health, Indiana Public Defender Council, and the Indiana House of Representatives Judiciary Subcommittee on Executive Branch Reorganization. He also served a term as Director of Emeriti House.
In 2020, McGregor was presented the Bicentennial Medal for his distinguished contributions to Indiana University.
- O'Neill faculty member for four decades
- Book Review Editor, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management
- O'Neill "Distinction in Teaching" Award
- Consultant, U.S. General Accounting Office, United Nations, Indiana House of Representatives
- Book review of Recognizing Public Value, by Mark H. Moore (2011) Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 33(3), (2014)
- Book review of Governing Fables: Learning from Public Sector Narratives, by Sandford Borins (2011). Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 32(2): 445 - 450 (2013)
- "Review Essay: The Equity Puzzle," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 28(1): 185-192, (2009)
- "Review Essay: The Trust Problem," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 26(2): 431-442, (2007)
- American Public Policy Problems: An Introductory Guide, 2nd edition (with C. F. Bonser and C.V. Oster, Jr.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall (2000)
- “Making Sense of Change (Chapter 8)” in Advancing Public Management: New Developments in Theory, Methods, and Practice (J. L. Brudney, L. J. O’Toole, Jr., and H. B. Rainey, Eds.). Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press (2000)
- Strategic Management of Human Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Workforce Decision-Making in the Postindustrial Era. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers (1991)
- “Politics and the career mobility of bureaucrats,” American Political Science Review, 68: 18-26, (1974)