- “Human-dominated rivers and river management in the Anthropocene,” Stream Ecosystems in a Changing Environment (ed. J. Jones and E. Stanley), Academic Press, (July 21, 2016)
- "Agricultural land use alters the seasonality and magnitude of stream metabolism," (with J.J. Beaulieu, N.A. Griffiths, L.T. Johnson, S.S. Roley, E.J. Rosi-Marshall, J.L. Tank, and M.R. Whiles), Limnology and Oceanography, 58(4): 1513-1529 (2013)
- "Dissolved organic carbon manipulation reveals coupled cycling of carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus in a nitrogen-rich stream," (with L.T. Johnson and D. Oviedo-Vargas), Limnology and Oceanography, 58(4): 1196-1206 (2013)
- "Pharmaceuticals suppress algal growth and microbial respiration and alter bacterial communities in stream biofilms," (with H. Bechtold, J.J. Kelly, D. Kincaid, M. Rojas, and E.J. Rosi-Marshall), Ecological Applications, 23: 583-593 (2013)
- "Manipulation of the dissolved organic carbon pool in an agricultural stream: responses in microbial community structure, denitrification, and assimilatory nitrogen uptake," (with J.M. Edgerton, L.T. Johnson, and L.G. Leff), Ecosystems, 15: 1027-1038 (2012)
- "Pharmaceutical compounds and ecosystem function: an emerging research challenge for aquatic ecologists," (with E. J. Rosi-Marshall), Ecosystems, 15: 867-880 (2012)
- "Effect of road salt application on seasonal chloride concentrations and toxicity in south-central Indiana streams," (with K. M. Gardner), Journal of Environmental Quality, 39: 1036–1042 (2010)
- "Timing of riverine export of nitrate and phosphorus from agricultural watersheds in Illinois: implications for reducing nutrient loading to the Mississippi River," (with M. B. David and L. E. Gentry), Environmental Science & Technology, 40: 4126–4131 (2006)
Reports and Publications:
“Initial nitrogen enrichment conditions determines variations in nitrogen substrate utilization by heterotrophic bacterial isolates,” (with Ghosh, S., P.A. Ayayee, O.J. Valverde-Barrantes, C.B. Blackwood, and L.G. Leff), BMC Microbiology, (2017)
“Occurrence, leaching, and degradation of Cry1Ab protein from transgenic maize detritus in agricultural streams,” (with Griffiths, N.A., J.L. Tank, E.J. Rosi, A.J. Shogren, T.C. Frauendorf), Science of the Total Environment, (592) 97-105, (2017)
“Modeling nutrient removal using watershed-scale implementation of the two-stage ditch,” (with Christopher, S.F., J.L. Tank, U.H. Mahl, H. Yen, J.G. Arnold, M.T. Trentman, S.P. Sowa, M.E. Herbert, J.A. Ross, M.J. White), Ecological Engineering, (108) 358-369, (2017)
- Gentry, L.E., M.B. David, F.E. Below, T.V. Royer, and G.F. McIsaac. Nitrogen mass balance of a tile-drained agricultural watershed in east-central Illinois. Journal of Environmental Quality 38:1841 1847. 2009.
- Griffiths, N.A., J.L. Tank, T.V. Royer, E.J. Rosi-Marshall, M.R. Whiles, C.P. Chambers, T.C. Frauendorf, M.A. Evans-White. Rapid decomposition of maize detritus in agricultural headwater streams. Ecological Applications 19:133 142. 2009.
- McDaniel, M.D., M.B. David, and T.V. Royer. Relationships between benthic sediments and water column phosphorus in Illinois streams. Journal of Environmental Quality 38:607 617. 2009.
- Das, M., T.V. Royer, and L.G. Leff. 2008. Fungal communities on decaying leaves in streams: A comparison of two leaf species. Mycological Progress 7:267 275. 2009.
- Royer, T.V., M.B. David, L.E. Gentry, C.A. Mitchell, K.M. Starks, T. Heatherly, and M.R. Whiles. Assessment of chlorophyll-a as a criterion for establishing nutrient standards in the streams and rivers of Illinois. Journal of Environmental Quality 3. 2008.