- “Experience with Carbon Taxes and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Trading Systems,” (with E. Haites, et al), Duke Environmental Law and Policy Forum 29: 109-182 (2018)
- Carbon Tax Guide: A Handbook for Policy Makers, (with D. Conway, J.Ross, A. Tran, A. Liu, S. Richards), Publication for World Bank Partnership for Market Readiness (2017)
- Carbon Tax Guide: A Handbook for Policy Makers. Case Studies, Publication for World Bank Partnership for Market Readiness (2017)
- “Covenant IX: Environmental Justice for All.” Chapter supplement in The Covenant for Black America – Ten Years Later, Tavis Smiley, et al, publishers.
- "Understanding the effectiveness of environmental offset policies," (with R. Hahn) Journal of Regulatory Economics. 44(1): 103-119 (2013)
- “Evaluating Protocols and Standards for Forest Carbon-Offset Programs, Part B: Leakage, Assessment, Wood Products, Validation and Verification” (with G. Huebner), Carbon Management 3 (4): 411-425 (2012)
- “Evaluating Protocols and Standards for Forest Carbon-Offset Programs, Part A: Additionality, Baselines, and Permanence” (with G. Huebner), Carbon Management 3 (4): 393-410 (2012)
- "REDD, PINC and other shades of green: Institutional requirements for an international forest carbon sequestration treaty in a post-Kyoto world," (with L. Baldwin), Natural Resources Journal, 52(1): 1-59 (2012)
- “Pouring Out Our Soils: Facing the Challenge of Poorly Defined Property Rights in Subsurface Pore Space for Carbon Capture and Storage” (with J. Chang, J. Allerhand, and J. Rupp), The George Washington University Journal of Energy and Environmental Law 3: 33-62 (2012)
Reports and Publications:
“Covenant IX: Environmental Justice for All,” chapter supplement in The Covenant for Black American - Ten Years Later, (Tavis Smily, ed.), Hay House Publishers (2016)
- Richards, K. The Instrument Choice Game: When Do Environmental Taxes Win?, in J. Milne et al., eds. Critical Issues In International Environmental Taxation. 2003.
- Richards, K. A Review of Forest Carbon Sequestration Cost Studies: A Dozen Years of Research. Climatic Change 63:1-48. 2004.
- Andersson, Krister, Tom Evans, and Kenneth R. Richards. 2008. National Forest Inventories: Policy Needs and Assessment Capacity. Currently published in advance online at Climatic Change Web site (refereed). Forthcoming in Climatic Change. Volume 93
- Richards, Kenneth R. and Stephanie Hayes Richards. An Analysis of the Leading Climate Change Bills in the U.S. Senate,Environmental Law Reporter. Volume 38: 10388-10417. 2008.
- Plantinga, Andrew and Kenneth R. Richards. International Forest Carbon Sequestration in a Post-Kyoto Agreement. In Aldy, Joseph E. and Robert N. Stavins, eds. Post-Kyoto International Climate Policy: Implementing Architectures for Agreement. New York. 2009.
- Plantinga, Andrew and Kenneth R. Richards. International Forest Carbon Sequestration in a Post-Kyoto Agreement. Harvard Project on International Climate Agreements. Discussion Paper 08-11. Cambridge, Massachusetts. 2008.
- Ringquist, Evan J., A. James Barnes, Mark Davis, Flynn Picardal, and Kenneth Richards. Waste Tire Policy Recommendations for Indiana. Prepared for the Indiana Department of Environmental Management Office of Pollution Prevention and Technical Assistance. 2008.