Opportunities for Non-Majors

Build your management skills while pursuing a degree in the performing, literary, or fine arts

Are you an artist with an interest in contracts and copyright? Do you want to explore what it might be like to manage your own theater, gallery, or opera company? Fulfill your outside area graduate requirements or obtain a Ph.D. minor in Arts Administration and gain the tools and management skills you need to be a successful artist in today’s world.

Masters students in the Jacobs School of Music can choose Arts Administration as an Outside Area, and IU students in doctoral programs can obtain a Doctoral Minor in Arts Administration. You may take any arts administration courses to fulfill the requirement.

Visit us to discuss your outside field or doctoral minor:

Arts Administration Program Office
O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs 
(812) 855-2840

Outside Field of Study for Jacobs School of Music Masters Students

Required: Two courses, 6 credit hours

The Outside Field of Study in Arts Administration requires permission from both an advisor at the Jacobs School of Music and the director of the Arts Administration Program, Karen Gahl-Mills. Students must take 6 credits (two courses) at the graduate level from O’Neill’s offerings in Arts Administration, chosen in consultation with the program director.

More information on the Jacobs School of Music Masters Outside Field of Study

Download the Outside Field of Study Approval Form