- (812) 855-4944
- Room Number:
- Areas of Interest:
- Civil engagement at the state and local level ,
- Urban studies at the federal, state, and local levels ,
- Community development and planning at the local level
- M.P.A., SPEA, Indiana University, 1985
- B.A., Valparaiso University, 1979
- Graduate Capstone
- Urban Development and Planning
- Urban Problems & Solutions
Frank Nierzwicki has been an adjunct professor with O'Neill Bloomington since 2003. He was named a visiting lecturer in fall of 2012 and a clinical assistant professor starting in fall 2015. Nierzwicki has an extensive background in local government and urban planning and brings over 30 years of professional governmental experience to the classroom.
Nierzwicki's professional interests include civil engagement at the state and local level; urban studies at the federal, state and local levels; and community development and planning at the local level. Currently, he serves on the Executive Board of the American Planning Association-Indiana Chapter as the professional development officer.
Professor Nierzwicki works closely with Indiana communities on planning and comunity development projects, often getting his students involved. The Indiana Chapter of the American Planning Association awarded his graduate capstone classes with the "Outstanding Student Project" designation in 2014 and 2015.
The spring 2017 semester will see Nierzwicki again take his Urban Problems and Solutions class to Poland during spring break. This overseas trip will include lectures from the University of Warsaw and Jagiellonian University as well as cultural trips to Warsaw, Krakow, and Auschwitz.
Prior to joining O'Neill, Nierzwicki was a senior transportation planner with the Indiana Department of Transportation, manager in the planning department with the City of Bloomington, Indiana, and a planning director for the Town of Ellettsville, Indiana.
- "Most Inclusive Faculty Award," O'Neill Student Choice Awards, 2016
- American Institute of Certified Planners
- Director of Planning Services, Town of Ellettsville, Ellettsville, Indiana
- Manager, Long Range Planning/Transportation Division, City of Bloomington Planning Department, Bloomington, Indiana
In the News
- "Too Sweet a Deal a Tax Deal?" - South Bend Tribune, November 23, 2014
- "Students to Weigh in on South Bend Development" - Inside INdiana Business - July 28, 2014
- "How Indiana Could Reverse the Trend of Segregated Poverty" - Indiana Public Media, July 25, 2014
- "Federal Shutdown in Effect" - Indiana Public Media, October 4, 2013
- "Indiana Workers could Be Furloughed If Government Shuts Down" - Indiana Public Media, September 30, 2013