- Ph.D., School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2015
- M.Sc.,University of Guelph, 2008
- B.Sc., University of Waterloo, 2006
- Associate Instructor, SPEA E162, Environment and People, 2014
- Research Assistant to Dr. Tom Evans, Community Adaptation and Vulnerability in Arctic Regions (CAVIAR) II, Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, Indiana University, 2012-13
- Research Assistant to Dr. Elinor Ostrom. Defining the social-ecological system framework. Ostrom Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, Indiana University, 2011-12
- Teaching Assistant. Tourism and Recreation Planning. School of Environmental Design and Rural Development, University of Guelph, 2007
- “The Impacts of Deterrence, Social Norms and Legitimacy on Forest Rule Compliance in Ghana,” (with S. Ramcilovic-Suominen), Forest Policy and Economics, 55, 10-20 (2015)
- “Institutional fit and the sustainability of social-ecological systems,” (with J. Pittman, S. Alexander, S. Berdej, T. Dyck, U. Kreitmair, S. Villamayor-Tomas, K. Rathwell, and D. Armitage), Current Opinion in Environment and Sustainability 14: 34-40 (2015)
- “Putting the ‘E’ in SES: Unpacking the ecology in the social-ecological systems framework,” (with J.M. Vogt, S.K. Mincey, B.C. Fischer, and P. McCord) Ecology and Society 20(1) (2015)
- “The water-energy-food security nexus through the lenses of the IAD framework and value chain analysis,” (with S. Villamayor-Tomas, P. Grundmann, T. Evans, and C. Kimmich), Water Alternatives 8 (1): 735-755 (2015)
- “Into the deep blue sea: Commons theory and international governance of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna,” (with M. Nenadovic and A. Boustany), International Journal of the Commons 8 (2): 277-303 (2014)
- “Governing large-scale social-ecological systems: lessons from a comparison of five cases,” (with F.D. Fleischman, N. C. Ban, L.S. Evans, G. Garcia-Lopez, and S. Villamayor-Tomas), International Journal of the Commons 8(2): 428-456 (2014)
- “Digging deeper into Hardin's pasture: the complex institutional structure of ‘the tragedy of the commons’,” (with D.H. Cole and M. D. McGinnis), Journal of institutional economics 10 (3): 353-369 (2014)
- “Confronting problems of method in the study of sustainability,” (with J.M. Vogt, M. Cox, and L. Shimek) Forest Policy and Economics 42: 42-50 (2014)
- “Missing ecology: integrating ecological perspectives with the social-ecological systems framework,” (with J.M. Vogt, S.K. Mincey, M. Cox, and B.C. Fischer) International Journal of the Commons 7 (2): 432-453 (2013)
- “Studying Power with the Social-Ecological System Framework,” (with A. Bennett, R. Gruby, L. Acton, and M. Nenadovic), In Understanding Society and Natural Resources, eds. M. J. Manfredo, J. J. Vaske, A. Rechkemmer and E.A. Duke: Springer Netherlands. 111-135 (2014)
Environmental governance; sustainability; community-based management; rule compliance; institutional analysis; social-ecological systems
Grants & Funding
- David and Lucille Packard Foundation, 2015
- Canadian Wildlife Federation, Workshop Travel Grant, 2014
- International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences Conference Travel Grant, 2014
- Resilience Alliance, Conference Travel Grant, 2014
- Ostrom Workshop Graduate Student Research Grant, 2014
- Ostrom Memorial Award, Most Innovative Paper, International Journal of the Commons, 2014
- Epstein, G. Institutional fit in forest commons: exploring the contributions of appropriation rules to biophysical forest outcomes. Presented at the International Association for the Study of the Commons 2015 Global Conference. (Edmonton, Canada, May 2015).
- Epstein, G. Governing Large-Scale Marine Protected Areas. Presented at the Workshop on the Workshop (WOW) 5 (Bloomington, IN, June 2014).
- Epstein, G. Studying Power with the Social-Ecological System Framework. Presented at the Workshop on the Workshop (WOW) 5 (Bloomington, IN, June 2014).
- Epstein, G. Political Science and Conservation. Presented at the Conservation Social Sciences: Elucidating “What?”, “How?” and “Why?” to Inform Conservation Practice Workshop at the North America Congress for Conservation Biology (Missoula, Montana, July 2014).
- Epstein, G., A. Sandberg, I. Bay-Larsen, and G. Hovelsrud. A Process-Oriented to the Study of Adaptation to Climate Change. Presented at the International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences VIII conference (Prince George, Canada, May 2014).
- Epstein, G. 2014. Trust, Legitimacy and Compliance in Forest Commons. Presented at Resilience 2014: Resilience Alliance International Science and Policy Conference (Montpellier, France, May 2014).
- Epstein, G. 2014. Workshop Institutionalism and the Study of Social-Ecological Systems. Presented at the University of Nordland (Bodo, Norway, January 2014).
- Epstein, G.. 2013. Power and Institutional Analysis. Presented at the International Association for the Study of the Commons 2013 Global Conference. (Kitafuji, Japan, June 2013).
- Epstein, G., Ban, N. 2013. The social-ecological system meta-analysis database (SESMAD) project. Presented at the 2013 Resilience Alliance Science Meeeting (Drakensberg, South Africa, April 2013).
- Epstein, G., Vogt, J.M., Mincey, S.K. 2012. Towards an Interdisciplinary Social-Ecological Systems (SES) Framework. Presented at The EcoSummit 2012 (Columbus, Ohio, October 2012).