- Ph.D., School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2017
- M.A., Philanthropic Studies, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, 2013
- B.S., Environmental Science, Zhejiang University, China, 2010
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Indiana University Bloomington, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, August 2017 – July 2018
- Research Associate, Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, 2013 Summer
- President and Co-founder, China Philanthropy Leadership Initiative, 2011-2013
- Fellow for Rural Development, SEE Conservation and Global Village of Beijing, 2010-2011
- Nonprofit Management and Leadership
- Cheng, Y., Yang, L. (2018). “Providing Public Services without Relying Heavily on Government Funding: How do Nonprofits Respond to Government Budget Cuts?” Online First at American Review of Public Administration.
- Cheng, Y. (2018). “Exploring the Role of Nonprofits in Public Service Provision: Moving from Co-production to Co-governance.” Online First at Public Administration Review.
- Cheng, Y. (2018). “Nonprofit Spending and Government Provision of Public Services: Testing Theories of Government-Nonprofit Relationships.” Online First at Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory. October 2018
- Cheng, Y. (2018). “Governing Public-Nonprofit Partnerships: Linking Governance Mechanisms to Collaboration Stages.” Online First at Public Performance & Management Review.
- Cheng, Y. (2018). “Stuart C. Mendel and Jeffery L. Brudney: Partnerships the Nonprofit Way: What Matters, What Doesn't” Online Frist at Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations.
- Cheng, Y. (2017). “Nonprofit Spending and Public Provision of Public Services.” In Academy of Management Proceedings (Vol. 2017, No. 1, p. 15210). Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510: Academy of Management.
- Management of Organizations
- Management and Governance of Nonprofit Organizations
- Introduction to Financial Analysis and Management
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Strategic Planning and Management
- Financing Nonprofits: Philosophies and Realities
Understanding Government-Supporting Nonprofits and Their Relationships
with Governments: Evidence from Local Parks and Recreation Services
Committee: Beth Gazley (Chair), Daniel Cole, Burnell Fischer, Michael McGuire,
Chao Guo (University of Pennsylvania)
Honors & Awards
- ARNOVA Emerging Scholars Award, 2017
- Ostrom Research Award, Indiana University Bloomington, 2017
- Penn Summer Doctoral Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania, 2017
- Pi Alpha Alpha Global Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration, 2016
- ARNOVA Doctoral Fellowship Award, 2016