Public Policy Fellowship

Roy W. Shin Fellowship

Established to honor Professor Emeritus Roy W. Shin. The fellowship supports doctoral students with outstanding academic achievement doing dissertation research in energy or environmental policy in northeast Asia and those who intend to pursue a career in teaching and research activities. Up to $5,000 may be awarded.

For more information on any of the above fellowships contact 

Research Assistantships

With a research assistantship, you will assist a faculty member with a research project. These positions often are funded through grants received by individual professors. The research conducted with the faculty member should be of interest to the student. For this reason, students often spend much more than 20 hours per week performing duties.

Students in the Ph.D. programs in Public Affairs and in Public Policy are strongly encouraged to gain some instructional experience.

Typically, doctoral students are assigned as an associate instructor (AI). An AI is the instructor of record and has primary responsibility for organization and delivery of a course. A doctoral student may design a topics course, usually given as V540 Topics in Environmental Affairs, or may take responsibility for a regular course offered either at the undergraduate or graduate level. Doctoral students should be aware that course scheduling is done six to eight months in advance and plan accordingly with their major advisor and the Program Office.

*Students holding appointments as associate instructors, graduate assistants, or research assistants ordinarily must be registered for 9 credit hours during each full semester and 3 credit hours (4 credit hours in case of 4-credit courses) during the summer session to be considered full time. They may count work required by their appointments toward computation of full-time graduate work. Taking less than 12 credit hours per semester should be discussed with the Chair of the student’s Advisory or Research Committee.

50 years at O'Neill